Monday, April 16, 2018

Modeling DNA Replication

A few years ago, I decided that I really wanted to focus on ensuring that my students understood the process of DNA replication. While diagrams and videos were available online, I wanted the students to actually interact with the process. I have used this modeling activity with my middle school students for several years with great success, and I hope your students enjoy it too.



Here, you see students working together to apply the base pair rule as they model DNA replication.






After working with the model in a small group, students put what they have learned into their notes, in words and pictures.


I created these manipulatives out of simple craft foam so they last from year to year. Be sure to create helicase and DNA polymerase as well.



The models help students understand that base pair rule and the steps of DNA replication, and can even be extended to teach RNA and transcription. 

No comments:

Post a Comment